Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Jeffrey Weiss <weiss@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:50:11 CST
** Reply to message from Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 08 Jul 1999
08:57:18 -0400

> Jeffrey Weiss wrote:

<CLIPPED cuz my post has been seen too many times already....>

> > Jeffrey
> >

> Wow!  What are you trying to do, give all Ham Operators a bad name?
>
> Tearing open a ham radio is not as difficult as opening a camera body.
> Most ham radio equipment is designed to allow the owner to install
> options like tone decode, filters, keyers, etc.

Not sure what the point here is, unless it's that one is ONLY supposed to do
filter
installs etc..

> To service ham equipment you need special tools, for the new surface
> mount stuff, and an up to date knowledge of the electronics in the
> radio, not to mention the service manuals that do not ship with the
> radio and must be bought separately.  While you might have both the
> knowledge and the tools for the radio, that does not mean that you can
> open and fix something that was never designed to be user serviced.

"Never designed..."  But hams repair and modify modern equipment every day. and
magazines are full of modifications and tips.
Every rig I have has shipped with schematics and I  easily purchased a service
manual
for my FT-2400.  Ham Radio is SUPPOSED to be about innovation  and
experimentation; it
was never intended to become the appliance user hobby it's become today.

Cameras don't come with any of this documentation and based upon what others
have more gently explained to
me on this list their component density and mechanical component is really a
bit frightening.
I do accept this!  My parallel  with ham radio was not  entirely helpful. Auto
transmission may be.
They are very complex and require special tools. I am surprised that tranny
repair shops haven't made
autorewind capabilities available yet.

> I think you made a comment about maybe you should have perused the list
> for a while. You should have since it would have kept you from giving
> John the crap you gave him. John is willing to share what he can, and
> part of what he shares is the knowledge, gained from experience, of what
> can and what can not be serviced my the inexperienced and ill equipped
> user.
>
> 73,
> Bob, W8IMO

May I still offer that some repairs are well within the scope of various camera
hobbyists; I did not particularly care
for a camera repairman to tell me "Your  just not supposed to go inside".  That
statement without clarification
seems arrogant to me especially from a repairperson. I could have used a
*helpful* response such as
"You know, I wouldn't advise it. I repair them and there are 1200 gears and
twelve pulleys in 14cc of space.
But here are qualified repair centers in addition to  my own".

I should have lurked longer if I'd had the time but the messages several have
sent me essentially say that
one should not disagree with those on the list dispensing free advice.

My apologies for upsetting anyone; it wasn't my goal. :-(
I'll go to lurk mode and only reply privately to further posts on this subject.

The best I can come up with in lieu of any list feedback is to run a bead of
metal-filled epoxy around the shoe mount and try that . I'll let people know if
it works if there's any interest.

Thanks,

Jeffrey