Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Jeffrey Weiss <weiss@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:43:04 CST
Hi, Jay,

** Reply to message from Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 7 Jul 1999
20:59:12 -0500

> On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 06:31:23PM -0600, Jeffrey Weiss wrote:
> > The reluctance to share  this type of mechanical info doesn't extend to my
> > ham radio lists, fortunately.
>
> Having had both several recent ham handhelds, the smallest a Yaesu VX-1R,
> and several Olympus cameras apart, I can attest to the Olympus being much
> more complex mechanically. Camera repair is not for the faint of heart, and
> the novice must be fully prepared to consider the first few pieces of
> equipment he works on disposable - it's easy to screw them up beyond repair.
> It's a problem of a whole different kind, and at a whole different level
> mechanically.

Thanks for a very direct comparison to something I can relate to! This is very
helpful.

> Please don't take this the wrong way, Jeff, but the OM-2S may well be beyond
> amateur repair, even for a skilled amateur. (Even for a skilled ham, too.)

I'll stick to fixing what I can with some success, then.

I suppose being told that I shouldn't because I'm not supposed to ticked me off
a little; being told
what it actually entails and relating it to other complex tasks has convinced
me that I better find a
good repair shop if I ever want to use that camera again!

73,

Jeffrey N0IRR