Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:21:52 -0400
Jeffrey Weiss wrote:

> > Tearing open a ham radio is not as difficult as opening a camera body.
> > Most ham radio equipment is designed to allow the owner to install
> > options like tone decode, filters, keyers, etc.
>
> Not sure what the point here is, unless it's that one is ONLY supposed to do
> filter
> installs etc..

Nope, that's not my point.  My point was that it is almost expected that
hams will open their radios and look around and such.  Cameras are not.

> > To service ham equipment you need special tools, for the new surface
> > mount stuff, and an up to date knowledge of the electronics in the
> > radio, not to mention the service manuals that do not ship with the
> > radio and must be bought separately.  While you might have both the
> > knowledge and the tools for the radio, that does not mean that you can
> > open and fix something that was never designed to be user serviced.
>
> "Never designed..."  But hams repair and modify modern equipment every day.
> and
> magazines are full of modifications and tips.

Yeah, but when you open a radio things generally don't fall out and
cause problems when trying to get replaced.

> Every rig I have has shipped with schematics and I  easily purchased a service
> manual
> for my FT-2400.  Ham Radio is SUPPOSED to be about innovation  and
> experimentation; it
> was never intended to become the appliance user hobby it's become today.

Lets see, my Drake twins came with service info.  When we entered the
new equipment era, with mostly transistors and ICs, service manuals were
extra cost options.  I have owned Drake twins, Icom 721A, Icom 735,
Yaesu FT-840, Icom IC-27H, IC-2400A, IC-2410, IC-2340, Yaesu FT-5200,
Alinco DR-610T, and various handhelds.  With everything after the Drake
stuff the schematics that were included with the radios would not be
enough to fix the radios.  Thats why they sell service manuals.

It is sort of a shame that knowing how to pick out a radio rather than
build it is the way our hobby has progressed.  But on the other hand the
hobby equipment we use has kept up with technology. I remember the old
SSB adapters for the Collins R-390 series.  They were as big as the
R-390s!  To most manufacturers our equipment is not the bread and butter
of their business.  Commercial radios are big users of modern technology
and it just sort of naturally follows that the ham gear is the same.  So
to bring out new ham gear they use the technology and experience they
gain from their commercial endeavors.  Not nice to a purist, but
something that is really good for the users.

> Cameras don't come with any of this documentation and based upon what others
> have more gently explained to
> me on this list their component density and mechanical component is really a
> bit frightening.
> I do accept this!  My parallel  with ham radio was not  entirely helpful. Auto
> transmission may be.
> They are very complex and require special tools. I am surprised that tranny
> repair shops haven't made
> autorewind capabilities available yet.

Well with the new electronics in cars, I leave everything to the
dealer.  I'm not loaded so I let them do what they can do better than
what I can do.  My T-birds have electronically controlled automatics.  I
don't know which is the problem, the electronics or the stuff inside the
tranny.  I can't afford to buy a computer and find out a valve body is
messed up.....

> > I think you made a comment about maybe you should have perused the list
> > for a while. You should have since it would have kept you from giving
> > John the crap you gave him. John is willing to share what he can, and
> > part of what he shares is the knowledge, gained from experience, of what
> > can and what can not be serviced my the inexperienced and ill equipped
> > user.
> >
> > 73,
> > Bob, W8IMO
>
> May I still offer that some repairs are well within the scope of various
> camera
> hobbyists; I did not particularly care
> for a camera repairman to tell me "Your  just not supposed to go inside".
> That
> statement without clarification
> seems arrogant to me especially from a repairperson. I could have used a
> *helpful* response such as
> "You know, I wouldn't advise it. I repair them and there are 1200 gears and
> twelve pulleys in 14cc of space.
> But here are qualified repair centers in addition to  my own".
>
> I should have lurked longer if I'd had the time but the messages several have
> sent me essentially say that
> one should not disagree with those on the list dispensing free advice.

Well, this goes back to following the list.  Those of us that have
followed the list for a while appreciate John Hermanson and understand
that when he says don't go there he means don't do that because it is
not in your best interest.  An example is that the rubber focussing grip
on someone's lens came loose.  The lens owner was going to use super
glue to keep it tight.  John explained why he didn't want to do that.
He could have kept quiet then repaired the "fix" sometime in the
future.

Its not that one should not disagree with someone dispensing free
advice.  It's more like, again I have to say this, those of us that have
been reading the list for a while respect John and his advice.
If Pete The Picturetaker gave you the advice that John did this thread
would not have gone the way it did since Pete isn't John.....

> My apologies for upsetting anyone; it wasn't my goal. :-(
> I'll go to lurk mode and only reply privately to further posts on this
> subject.
>
> The best I can come up with in lieu of any list feedback is to run a bead of
> metal-filled epoxy around the shoe mount and try that . I'll let people know
> if
> it works if there's any interest.

I forgot what kind of OM you're having problems with, but my pair of
OM-1s and my OM-2 have screw down hot shoes.....  They are not
permanently affixed to the bodies...

73, Bob

--
                   //////