Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Jeffrey Weiss <weiss@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 07:03:25 CST
iHi,

** Reply to message from "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 6 Jul 1999
22:51:28 -0400

> A loose 2S shoe is not meant to be fixed by the owner.

Is the message that Every Owner = incompetent ?

>Right now the only
> thing wrong  with that body may be the shoe.  After trying to get the top
> off and do it yourself (with the best intentions) you may end up with a non
> working camera.

True!  But:

My question wasn't whether I should do it myself. It was *HOW* to do it. I am a
grownup and can live with
the consequences of deciding to make a minor repair on a camera. It would be
helpful if I had more
information, though. It's interesting that in ham radio both handhelds and
large, expensive transceivers come with extensive schematic documentation
allowing hams to wade in with sound 'maps' and make modifications/repairs but in
photography we pay good money for optical systems and receive virtually no sound
information on our purchases. I just bought an Epic and nowhere, for example,
can I even find details on how the 3 beam autofocus is implemented  simply to
allow me to understand how to best use the camera.
I find this patronizing and unhelpful.

I have worked on microminiaturized radio transceivers, semiconductor processing
equipment using hazardous gas systems and high voltage RF systems with complex
robotics, and laser ellipsometry systems in the past twenty years.

There's a remote chance that I might not actually destroy the camera especially
if 'trade secrets'  on the repair of out of production cameras were shared with
the 'incompetent' owner base....

Anyway, I need the camera in less than 2 weeks and can't afford to send it to
Camtech in NY and hope to get it back in time after paying almost as much as I
did for the camera to tighten a hot shoe. I have seen some places charge a
minimum of $72/hr regardless of the repair....

Jeffrey