Re: [OM] using Velvia

Subject: Re: [OM] using Velvia
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:36:58 -0600
At 08:28 PM 11/11/1998 PST, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I will be taking some shots this weekend which I ultimately am hoping
>will be published in an aviation magazine. I'm considering using Velvia
>(seen many positive comments here). The Fuji home page FAQs on Velvia
>suggest many photographers set the film speed dial to 40ASA when
>shooting Velvia, that extra 'bit' of exposure bringing out the best
>performance in the emulsion.
>
>Do anyone have any experience of this, and if so with what result?
>
>I'm happy to use a slow film on this job - the aircraft in question
>hasn't moved in 20+ years - it's on a pole!
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve

Hi Steve:

I really need to calibrate my meter to Velvia, but on a bet I'd say 40 ASA
is still reasonably conservative.  The last roll I shot at ASA 50 I
invariably preferred the bracketed shots which were 1/2 stop "overexposed."
 That would be ASA 25! However, in other, previous circumstances where
there wasn't a lot of shadows, 50 ASA was fine. The best practice I would
say is to shoot the film at 40 or 50 and bracket.

Good luck on your shoot,

Joel