Re: [OM] using Velvia

Subject: Re: [OM] using Velvia
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:17:47 -0500
Ken Norton wrote:
  K-64 has been revived
> as a favorite film as its smoothness and sharpness is unbelievable.  K-64
> has far better gradients than any other slide film (except K-25) but is not
> forgiving to overexposure.

I'm glad to see Ken raise this point. . . . at my local Borders
bookstore I like to peruse the aviation mags, and one becomes quickly
aware of a fervent sub-species of photogs who shoot aircraft
exclusively.  Interestingly, they like to trade slides amongst
themselves----a unique trait----and their currency of choice are
Kodachromes.

There was a photographer who wrote (in "Airliner" magazine I think) that
Kodachrome was uniquely suited to the various metallic patinas of
aircraft.  Based on my experience I have to agree: lots of specular
highlights on shiny parts, seams, bezels, rivets etc. really are
enhanced by the edge efeects that Kodachrome gives. This in spite of the
fact that most E6 is technically "sharper"