Re: [OM] using Velvia

Subject: Re: [OM] using Velvia
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:17:48 -0600
Rating Velvia at 50 is correct when dealing with midtones.  On evenly lit
subjects Velvia is absolutely a 50 film.  However, where Velvia slows down
is with the shadows.   Anything that is 2-stops under becomes the
equivilent of 3-stops under on K-64.  Highlights hold a little better in
Velvia than K-64 though.  It is common to rate Velvia at 32 or 40 if you
are dealing with a contrasty subject.

On push processing...   Shooting Velvia at 100 and push-processing one stop
is nearly perfect for aerial photography.  The constrast INCREASES and
helps cut through the haze.  Wildlife photographers have used this
technique to increase saturation when shooting with extremely long lenses.
Shooting through 50 meters of air to isolate a critter is very demanding on
the lenses and moisture in the air flattens the colors.

On film preferences:

I love Velvia for it's contrast.  I use it when I want the disney colors.
Also, I never need a skylight or UV filter with it.  K-64 has been revived
as a favorite film as its smoothness and sharpness is unbelievable.  K-64
has far better gradients than any other slide film (except K-25) but is not
forgiving to overexposure.  Still been shooting a ton of Sensia (origional)
as I bought a couple bricks of it as it expired for real cheep!

Ken Norton