Re: [OM] using Velvia

Subject: Re: [OM] using Velvia
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:49:36 -0500
> I rate mine at 50asa, though I know that many rate it at 40.
> My question is this though, why would Fuji suggest rating it
> at 50asa if 40 'brings out the best performance'?

Because standardized ISO-specified film speed testing
reveals it to be an ISO 50 speed film?

> Wouldn't they stamp the box with 40asa if that was
> the best speed?

They could stamp it with whatever they wanted, as long
as it wasn't an ISO (or DIN, for that matter) film speed.
Since nobody's used ASA film speed ratings for years,
maybe they could use that :-)

For Fuji's position on this, have a peek at
http://www.fujifilm.com/home/faqsfact/velvafaq.htm

This is the perennial ISO v. personal EI thing which goes
on and on and on...there's no right or wrong, just whatever
works for _you_, with _your_ equipment.

Back to the airplane shoot, use a solid tripod, and
follow Doris' suggestion to bracket extensively, no
matter what film you ultimately choose.  Assuming there's
no art director involved with this shoot, does the editor
have a film type preference?  I'd use that as a starting
point for film selection...

jim