Re: [OM] T45 Flash, Help...

Subject: Re: [OM] T45 Flash, Help...
From: Dan Medley <dmedley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:54:56 -0800
At 10:59 AM 11/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Danyal Medley wrote:
>
>>One feature I am really confused about, is the auto-check feature.  I
>am
>>aware that the flash has a built-in sensor, and an 'auto-check'
>>indicator, but I do not understand how this indicator is supposed to
>>work.  I've tried using the 'test' button which fires the flash, and
>>also tried pressing the shutter button - as if taking a picture.  I've
>>tried simulating a condition where the sensor would not 'sense' return
>>light, and also tried to 'encourage' as much light to reflect back onto
>>the sensor, but in both cases, the light flashes when charging then
>>stays out.  The LED indicator in the view-finder is always on.
>
>Did you remember to reverse the back panel of the T45 to Manual/Normal
>Auto position? The OM-1n obviously doesn't support TTL flash.  Select
>the Normal Auto position, F8, 100 ASA. The flash range is now 0.7 - 5.6
>meter. When you point the flash to any neutral coloured surface (not
>pure white or black) in this range and fire or press the test button,
>the led should blink. If you point it to anything beyond this range you
>get a full discharge. Didn't you get a manual with this flash? If not,
>you can get one from Olympus.
>Normal Auto mode aka computer flash indeed works with a built-in sensor
>(it's located in the 'O' of Olympus) and measures reflected light. You
>have a choice of three apertures and for full flash effect you must set
>the selected aperture on the lens. And remember the 1/60 sec. or slower
>shutter speed.

Thanks Hans.  After a little playing around, I think I understand how this
thing works.  I did have the calculator panel installed, but I did not
understand the LED indication in the viewfinder until I read the T20 manual
- which is better than the T-45 manual that I have.  It seems that in
attempting to accomodate the four languages used in my T-45 manual, Oly cut
short on descriptive info.

Lacking in my manual was the comment that if the LED in the view finder
goes out, that is the indication that the subject was too far away - or the
output was not sufficient.  THis makes complete sense to me now.  What this
means is that the Flash fully discharged, and the sensor did not 'collect'
enough return light to satisfy what the flash thinks is sufficient lighting
given the film, and aperature settings on the calc. panel.

Simple.  Thanks again.  I am still interested in finding some books on
photography, and use of flash, that could be applied to Olympus equipment.
If anyone has any suggestions, or preferences for a specific book, I'd like
to know.

Regards,
Danyal Medley