Re: [OM] T45 Flash, Help...

Subject: Re: [OM] T45 Flash, Help...
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:59:27 -0500
Danyal Medley wrote:

>One feature I am really confused about, is the auto-check feature.  I
am
>aware that the flash has a built-in sensor, and an 'auto-check'
>indicator, but I do not understand how this indicator is supposed to
>work.  I've tried using the 'test' button which fires the flash, and
>also tried pressing the shutter button - as if taking a picture.  I've
>tried simulating a condition where the sensor would not 'sense' return
>light, and also tried to 'encourage' as much light to reflect back onto
>the sensor, but in both cases, the light flashes when charging then
>stays out.  The LED indicator in the view-finder is always on.

Did you remember to reverse the back panel of the T45 to Manual/Normal
Auto position? The OM-1n obviously doesn't support TTL flash.  Select
the Normal Auto position, F8, 100 ASA. The flash range is now 0.7 - 5.6
meter. When you point the flash to any neutral coloured surface (not
pure white or black) in this range and fire or press the test button,
the led should blink. If you point it to anything beyond this range you
get a full discharge. Didn't you get a manual with this flash? If not,
you can get one from Olympus.
Normal Auto mode aka computer flash indeed works with a built-in sensor
(it's located in the 'O' of Olympus) and measures reflected light. You
have a choice of three apertures and for full flash effect you must set
the selected aperture on the lens. And remember the 1/60 sec. or slower
shutter speed.

The tech specs of the T45 can be found on the Web at
http://www.mcs.net/~smp/photo/flash_t45.htm

A manual of the T20 (which is simular in operation but has a lower
output) can be found at
http://www.grue.net/olydocs/

Hans