[OM] T45 Flash, Help...

Subject: [OM] T45 Flash, Help...
From: Dan Medley <dmedley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:35:46 -0800
I recently purchased a T-45 flash - originally for use with an OM-4T.  I am
currently planning on using it with my ON-1n. I have the instructions but
have found them to be lacking in any kind of useful information.  Most of
it is a procedural, describing how to use it with little explanation of
what is happening.

One feature I am really confused about, is the auto-check feature.  I am
aware that the flash has a built-in sensor, and an 'auto-check' indicator,
but I do not understand how this indicator is supposed to work.  I've tried
using the 'test' button which fires the flash, and also tried pressing the
shutter button - as if taking a picture.  I've tried simulating a condition
where the sensor would not 'sense' return light, and also tried to
'encourage' as much light to reflect back onto the sensor, but in both
cases, the light flashes when charging then stays out.  The LED indicator
in the view-finder is always on.

Is there anyone who can explain to me how this feature works?  From what I
understand, it supposed to measure the light reflected back to see if it is
sufficient.

I am also interested in finding some books that might provide me some
insight on flash photography - and photography in general for that matter -
but would like to find some that are applicable to Olympus SLR cameras, if
not specifically on the Olympus equipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Danyal Medley