Re: [OM] OM-1 meter reading low?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 meter reading low?
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:25:56 -0600
>I had the same kind of problem.  A customer, whose OM-4 I had just
>overhauled, called to say that the OM-4 meter was off by 1 stop, compared to
>his brand new 4T AND his 3 friends cameras too!  Woah, I said, how can that
>be?
>This chap wanted to come to my shop with all his friends so they could prove
>it.  Well.... NO that  won't happen.
>SO, he took the 4 and  brand new 4T to Olympus in Woodbury, they took both
>into the service area and found that the new 4T  meter was off 1 stop.
>
>John

Good reason to have a good handheld reflected light meter.  At various times
I have questioned my 4 OM bodies and just take the Gossen Digital  meter out
and meter off my back yard fence with the meter and the camera.  The fence
has uniform tone to it to compensatefor spot .vs. center weighted and the field
of view of the handheld meter's sensor.   All my cameras agree to within
1/3 f-stop of each other and the meter :-)

P.S.  -- its also good to NOT take a camera reading with the lens wide open
when comparing to a hand-held meter.  As noted in previous posts, it seems
that stopping down 1 f-stop in aperture from wide open on most lenses only
results in a 1/2 to 2/3 stop change in shutter speed.  Stopping down another
f-stop in aperture then usually results in a full 1 stop change in shutter
speed.
I have noticed this on all my Zuikos that I have tried it with.  I think the
list
surmised that this had to do with vignetting at the wide open aperture.