Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:00:48 -0700
At 12/8/2022 12:40 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 12/8/2022 7:50 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>>Bokeh is ridiculously tricky. Whenever someone claims a lens has good, or
>>>bad bokeh, I take it with a grain of salt. Yes, OoF areas may be very
>>>different with different lenses @ same FL and aperture.
>>>
>>>BUT, it may also vary wildly with distances to focal plane and to things in
>>>front of and behind the focal plane, on the same lens, @ same aperture. Move
>>>camera and subject relative to background, but not to each other - the bokeh
>>>changes.
>>>
>>>Move the camera away from the subject, and the bokeh changes, but so do the
>>>sizes of subject and background(s).
>>>
>>>Simple, limited
>>>example:<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/BokehPot.htm>
>>>
>>>Background barely behind focal plane, bokeh pretty rough.
>>>Background from almost FP through middle distance, to infinity. Pretty busy
>>>Move a little closer, bokeh almost painterly
>>>And its a real difference, not just mag., shot two, enlarged to match.
>>>Change distances a little bit, different light, different bokeh.
>>>
>>>Many Variables Moose
>>I use adapters with a helicoid, so close focus more than native is possible,
>
>My spreadsheet says I have 28 adapters, of 18 different types - likely low.
>Many/most aren't available with helicoids + $$$. Sony E mount extension tubes
>handle closer focus. AND, I obviously do less really close work with my elders
>than you do. ð???
>
>>which I also increases the OOF effect. All the variables just add to the
>>potential fun.
>
>Yup!
>
>>Really nice pot though.
>
>Carol says she just came across it somewhere and just bought it because she
>liked it so much. Nothing has been planted in it as yet.
>
>>I acquired a Voigtlander Prominent RF with attached Nokton 50mm F1.5 lens.
>>Quite good optics for a 1950 lens.
>
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7VEVFLjMkX4e8XA8
>
>>The Prominent camera also came with a Voigtlander 35mm F3.5 Skoparon and a
>>100mm F4.5 Dynaron, but there are no adapters available for them.
>
>I imagine shutter and aperture are in the camera, so an adapter would need at
>least a way to adjust the aperture. Focus in camera body as well? "Focusing is
>done by turning the knob on the left of the top plate (which would be the film
>rewind on any other camera" UV Topcors have the same aperture problem, but
>helicoid is in the lens.
>
>>I think I spend more on adapters than lenses.
>
>See above.   ð???
>
>Adaptable Moose

The Prominent has interchangeable lenses with the shutter in the camera. Also
the focusing mechanism is in the camera, hence the Yeenon adapter I have has a
helicoid required to focus the lens. The prominent camera is very well made, a
bit cumbersome to use in practice, and heavy. You turn a knob to wind the film
and cock the shutter. Amazing it still works after 70 some years.

I'm beginning to see how a spreadsheet could be handy.

WayneS