Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 21:02:43 -0800
On 12/6/2022 8:01 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

I came across a discussion on FM about how EFCS can affect bokeh at high
shutter speeds, which often can happen when using fast lenses wide open.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/84

"You are 100% right that the bokeh is busy in this shot. The reason is not the lens
though. Those half-circles mean you're shooting using EFCS, which when combined with high
shutter speed (due to f1.2) ultimately degrades background blur smoothness."

Methinks this be balderdash. Made no sense to my brain. Didn't compute with my fairly extensive experience with bokeh. Then I searched "cat's eye bokeh" and got several hits, including a different FM thread and known competent sites. All attribute it to optical effects of physical lens design.

Squinting Moose