Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:40:06 -0800
On 12/8/2022 7:50 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 12/8/2022 03:11 AM, Moose bokehishness wrote:
Bokeh busier even at f1.2 in this particular scenario than I recall in other
situations.
Bokeh is ridiculously tricky. Whenever someone claims a lens has good, or bad
bokeh, I take it with a grain of salt. Yes, OoF areas may be very different
with different lenses @ same FL and aperture.

BUT, it may also vary wildly with distances to focal plane and to things in
front of and behind the focal plane, on the same lens, @ same aperture. Move
camera and subject relative to background, but not to each other - the bokeh
changes.

Move the camera away from the subject, and the bokeh changes, but so do the
sizes of subject and background(s).

Simple, limited
example:<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/BokehPot.htm>

Background barely behind focal plane, bokeh pretty rough.
Background from almost FP through middle distance, to infinity. Pretty busy
Move a little closer, bokeh almost painterly
And its a real difference, not just mag., shot two, enlarged to match.
Change distances a little bit, different light, different bokeh.

Many Variables Moose
I use adapters with a helicoid, so close focus more than native is possible,

My spreadsheet says I have 28 adapters, of 18 different types - likely low. Many/most aren't available with helicoids + $$$. Sony E mount extension tubes handle closer focus. AND, I obviously do less really close work with my elders than you do. 😛

which I also increases the OOF effect. All the variables just add to the
potential fun.

Yup!

Really nice pot though.

Carol says she just came across it somewhere and just bought it because she liked it so much. Nothing has been planted in it as yet.

I acquired a Voigtlander Prominent RF with attached Nokton 50mm F1.5 lens.
Quite good optics for a 1950 lens.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7VEVFLjMkX4e8XA8

The Prominent camera also came with a Voigtlander 35mm F3.5 Skoparon and a
100mm F4.5 Dynaron, but there are no adapters available for them.

I imagine shutter and aperture are in the camera, so an adapter would need at least a way to adjust the aperture. Focus in camera body as well? "Focusing is done by turning the knob on the left of the top plate (which would be the film rewind on any other camera" UV Topcors have the same aperture problem, but helicoid is in the lens.

I think I spend more on adapters than lenses.

See above.   😁

Adaptable Moose