Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 02:12:23 -0800
On 12/8/2022 7:15 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 12/7/2022 10:02 PM, Balderdash wrote:
On 12/6/2022 8:01 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I came across a discussion on FM about how EFCS can affect bokeh at high
shutter speeds, which often can happen when using fast lenses wide open.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/84

"You are 100% right that the bokeh is busy in this shot. The reason is not the lens
though. Those half-circles mean you're shooting using EFCS, which when combined with high
shutter speed (due to f1.2) ultimately degrades background blur smoothness."
Methinks this be balderdash. Made no sense to my brain. Didn't compute with my fairly
extensive experience with bokeh. Then I searched "cat's eye bokeh" and got
several hits, including a different FM thread and known competent sites. All attribute it
to optical effects of physical lens design.

Squinting Moose
Looking at the original posted photo, it is a real EFCS effect. I have it on my
list to test, and may be A7Rx EFCS related. Not all electronic shutters are the
same.

The original post was not about cat's eye, rather "half-circles" in the shot on
the previous page. The background OOF has, what normally would be a blurred circle, a cut
in half circle.

OK, I found one. So many big pix make it hard.

This is highly likely due to EFCS since the cut is horizontal like the shutter
travel. The lens was a sony 50mm 1.2 GM, which normally has very smooth bokeh,
not cat's eye, and was shot at 1.2 with a fast shutter speed.

Yes, I see the effect. I can't get excited. The only shots I've taken at really high shutter speeds with A7RII were 1/8000, mechanical. (Had to look at EXIF.)

First, this kind of photo situation is very rare in my work.

Second, if no worse than this one, it's trivial to fix in PS.

Not going to worry about it.

Cat's eye is definitely the optics, but not these horizontally cut in half
circles. No optics can do that.

Agreed - still ain't gonna fret.

Sleepin' Easy Moose