Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 08:50:30 -0700
At 12/8/2022 03:11 AM, Moose bokehishness wrote:
>On 11/20/2022 3:49 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>>Bokeh busier even at f1.2 in this particular scenario than I recall in other
>>situations.
>
>Bokeh is ridiculously tricky. Whenever someone claims a lens has good, or bad
>bokeh, I take it with a grain of salt. Yes, OoF areas may be very different
>with different lenses @ same FL and aperture.
>
>BUT, it may also vary wildly with distances to focal plane and to things in
>front of and behind the focal plane, on the same lens, @ same aperture. Move
>camera and subject relative to background, but not to each other - the bokeh
>changes.
>
>Move the camera away from the subject, and the bokeh changes, but so do the
>sizes of subject and background(s).
>
>Simple, limited example:
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/BokehPot.htm>
>
>Background barely behind focal plane, bokeh pretty rough.
>Background from almost FP through middle distance, to infinity. Pretty busy
>Move a little closer, bokeh almost painterly
>And its a real difference, not just mag., shot two, enlarged to match.
>Change distances a little bit, different light, different bokeh.
>
>Many Variables Moose

I use adapters with a helicoid, so close focus more than native is possible,
which I also increases the OOF effect. All the variables just add to the
potential fun.

Really nice pot though.

I acquired a Voigtlander Prominent RF with attached Nokton 50mm F1.5 lens.
Quite good optics for a 1950 lens.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7VEVFLjMkX4e8XA8

The Prominent camera also came with a Voigtlander 35mm F3.5 Skoparon and a
100mm F4.5 Dynaron, but there are no adapters available for them. I think I
spend more on adapters than lenses.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Prominent_(35mm)

WayneS