Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 08:15:46 -0700
At 12/7/2022 10:02 PM, Balderdash wrote:
>On 12/6/2022 8:01 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>
>>I came across a discussion on FM about how EFCS can affect bokeh at high
>>shutter speeds, which often can happen when using fast lenses wide open.
>>
>>https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1625777/84
>>
>>"You are 100% right that the bokeh is busy in this shot. The reason is not
>>the lens though. Those half-circles mean you're shooting using EFCS, which
>>when combined with high shutter speed (due to f1.2) ultimately degrades
>>background blur smoothness."
>
>Methinks this be balderdash. Made no sense to my brain. Didn't compute with my
>fairly extensive experience with bokeh. Then I searched "cat's eye bokeh" and
>got several hits, including a different FM thread and known competent sites.
>All attribute it to optical effects of physical lens design.
>
>Squinting Moose

Looking at the original posted photo, it is a real EFCS effect. I have it on my
list to test, and may be A7Rx EFCS related. Not all electronic shutters are the
same.

The original post was not about cat's eye, rather "half-circles" in the shot on
the previous page. The background OOF has, what normally would be a blurred
circle, a cut in half circle. This is highly likely due to EFCS since the cut
is horizontal like the shutter travel. The lens was a sony 50mm 1.2 GM, which
normally has very smooth bokeh, not cat's eye, and was shot at 1.2 with a fast
shutter speed.

Cat's eye is definitely the optics, but not these horizontally cut in half
circles. No optics can do that.

WayneS