Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] A Love Story - 35 Year Anniversary with the OM-2S
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 18:51:05 -0700
At 2/4/2021 07:24 PM, AG wrote:
>> Please elaborate.  I bet I have heard some of the info but it is very nice
>> to review this. IIRC, it doesn't have the multi-spot metering, right?
>
>The OM-2S is super slick when it comes to handling and mode controls
>because of HOW it can used. Let me explain with a couple of examples:
>
>1. Standard outdoor photography. Use the manual metering to establish
>a base-line exposure. This can be achieved with the live spot metering
>(as opposed to the OM-3/4 series which only has a fixed spot metering
>when button pushed), or through "Sunny 16" exposure estimation. Let's
>say my film speed is ISO 100, and my desired aperture is f11, then I
>will manually set the shutter speed to 1/250. I now have a fixed
>standard exposure to fall back on. Flip the lever to Auto and let the
>camera take care of the shutter speed for my shooting. The exposure
>should go up or down slightly depending on the framing and subject
>being photographed. Just keep an eye on the exposure scale. If the
>indicated shutter speed gets too far afield from 1/250, just flip the
>lever back to manual, take your shot and flip it back to auto. Easy as
>that. When the lighting starts to drop and the shutter speeds start to
>get lower, just flip it to Program and the camera will open up wider
>than your selected aperture (but never smaller) as necessary. Unlike
>other branded cameras, the OM-2S allows Program mode to work with ANY
>selected aperture. It will open up, but never close down. Again, as
>lighting gets difficult, you can always take a manual spot meter
>reading and lock the aperture/speed in and then flip back to the auto
>or program mode.
>
>2. There are two ways to "meter" the scene. In manual mode, the live
>spot-meter is used with the match-needle display. Or just use the auto
>mode to tell you what the camera thinks the shutter speed should be
>using the center-weight averaging sensor. If it is showing 1/125, then
>adjust your shutter speed to 1/125. Flip the lever to manual and it's
>set. This works with all non-OM1 bodies, though.
>
>3. Mixed mode lighting and event photography. I've been able to
>achieve similar traits with other cameras, but not as slick as the
>OM-2S. If I'm using ISO 400 or 800 film, auto mode, with the flash
>turned off, I set the aperture so the shutter speed is reading 1/30 or
>1/15. Turn the flash on and using OTF flash control, the camera/flash
>will properly expose the subject, the shutter speed locks in at 1/60
>and the background will stay nicely knocked down by enough to have the
>subject stand out, but not so much to turn the scene into a coal mine.
>Here is where things get fun. In most event photography, there are
>almost always two different scenes being photographed at the same time
>with different lighting. Use the manual mode to have an alternate
>exposure dialed in with the shutter speed. Just turn the flash off,
>flip to manual, shoot, flip back, turn flash back on. Or just leave
> [...]

Old post.

I came across an OM-2s recently. Have no idea what the actual operating
condition is, but it appears near mint condition. I have never used the 2s. One
downside for me is the lack of a diopter adjustment. The second is the screen
is not as bright at the standard OM-4t screen. A 2-13 screen, hard to come by
except perhaps from a "parts only" OM-4, might help.

An interestingly designed camera. The fact the camera cannot go smaller than
the set aperture seems to be a feature of the way Oly lenses aperture control
works.

The upside of my find is it came with a 11xxxxx version 50/1.4 lens. And it
came with a little camera grip attached. Which can cost a lot if you buy one
from the bay.

Event photography today seems hard to imagine using a film camera. It's clear
that you have mastered this camera. The menu system is minimal. I will probably
run a roll of film through it.

WayenS