[OM] Nathan's PAD 6/10/2022: Kaisa and the Nobel Prize

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/10/2022: Kaisa and the Nobel Prize
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:57:22 +0200
It seems a long time since I posted…although I realise it was just a week or so
ago. I am busy right now; my sister and brother-in-law are visiting from
Poland, I have been busy scanning 6 rolls of film that I had developed
recently, and this thing called work also keeps intruding. But anyway, here is
a photo from the office last week that does NOT involve eating and drinking.

Kaisa is one of our seconded national experts, on loan for 4 years from the
Royal Library in Stockholm. As a book person and a Swede, she is of course very
interested in who wins the Nobel Prize for literature. She came to our office
in August of last year, and a couple of weeks after her arrival she asked me:
“how come nobody seems excited about the upcoming Nobel announcements?” So she
did something about it: she booked a meeting room, set up her computer with the
big screen, and a group of us gather to watch Abdulrazak Gurnah win the 2021
prize. I had not heard of him, and neither had many other people, but that has
surely changed since then. I have several books of his now, and I consider him
a truly great writer. It helps that I am a fan of African literature in general.

This year, Kaisa repeated the exercise, and so last Thursday at lunchtime, we
watched the announcement of French writer Annie Ernaux as the 2022 laureate. In
this case, I had heard of her, although I admit to never having read any of her
books, something that will be rectified shortly. In any event, here is Kaisa
explaining the proceedings about to happen to our little group:

https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wpj3wr7/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wpj3wr7/A>

Cheers,
Nathan