Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant
From: Mike Lazzari via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 13:38:04 -0700
Cc: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
1. Is the phone connected to a cell-tower? If it's completely
off-line, not only do you lose mapping, but the ability to locate
itself is severely hampered. It can take 10 minutes before the phone
gets an idea exactly where it's at
Not true at all. Lot of places around here with no signal including here at the house. Phone tracks fine. Same in the Highlands and last week in the Kooetnays and no problem in the N. Cascades. The key is to pull the necessary maps while you ideally have wifi or fast mobile. See app referenced above. Also many paid apps do the same. All the maps I need take up minimal memory.  Batteries last at least eight hours tracking  which is enough for a typical excursion. No question that I like my Garmin Montana but for a road trip the phone is more convenient and perfectly serviceable.

2. Latitude.
3. Reflections
Agreed that high latitude is a problem but not an issue for most of us. Multi path and clear sky view is an issue in cities or in the mountains anywhere. Just be aware if the track starts zigging and zagging. ExpertGPS will clean up a track.

4. Battery level.
5. Battery life itself.

I get a day out of the Garmin or the phone. I can plug either/both in the car so not an issue. Multi-day without power, carry an extra battery or power pack as appropriate. You can set the track point interval to save some battery poop and memory but memory isn't much of an issue these days.  I'm not out in subzero C temps generally but when hiking and it's cold in the morning the phone is in a pocket. Not an issue for most of us I suspect. I have not experienced signal degradation due to temp or battery.