Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant
From: Mike Lazzari via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:58:00 -0700
Cc: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Why don't you just use you phone? The gps in newer phones is just as good or better than most consumer handhelds like Garmin. In fact my phone receives more satellite systems than my older Montana. The Montana is still top notch though.  A few years ago I did some comparisons with my Montana and a friend's eye thing. Out in the open things were pretty equal but once under tree cover the phone was useless (or worse). Not any more. Most new phones are fine.

I highly recommend OSMAnd <https://osmand.net/> which is free and based on openstreetmaps. I paid a few £'s to help support them and get a few more  features. It was very useful on our travels even routing on trails. No connection required. Just turn on the tracking and save the track at the end of the day. I have ExpertGPS-Pro <expertgps.com> for the editing but it is overkill.  I use it for my mapping and need the extra features. (see latest map below). I think free EasyGPS <easygps.com> would be fine.

When traveling I leave the camera on "Home" time and edit it later in ExpertGPS. Easier than remembering to reset every time you cross an imaginary line. Last week in Canada we crossed from PDT into MDT and back again in the space of a couple of hours. It can be a bit confusing however you decide do it. e.g. when Piers and I were a few meters from each other in Scotland but didn't realize it until I got home and aligned the times.

Mike

draft copy <http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/Trails/maps/SJI%20Trails5b.jpg>