Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:55:25 -0700
At 5/23/2022 11:07 AM, Geotag Moose wrote:
>I just start the Garmin 401 and put it in shirt pocket. Turn it off at the end
>of shooting. If I have camera time right, that's all. If not, simple
>adjustment in Geosetter.
>
>For a trip like La Palma, just recharge AAA batteries at night. For a several
>day horse trip, carry a few extra AAA alkalines.
>
>I have no idea what it syncs to. Worked perfectly in Bhutan, New England and
>Ireland. Carried along with the I-GotU in old growth redwoods as a test. The
>I-gotU was terrible, all over the place, hardly ever on the trail. The Garmin
>was fine.

Are you asking what the GPS time syncs to?
FYI: https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

In the US: "... The government distributes UTC as maintained by the U.S. Naval
Observatory (USNO) via the GPS signal in space with a time transfer accuracy
relative to UTC(USNO) of <=30 nanoseconds (billionths of a second), 95% of the
time."

WayneS