Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Geotag and time zones rant
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:44:01 -0800
> Why don't you just use you phone? The gps in newer phones is just as
> good or better than most consumer handhelds like Garmin. In fact my
> phone receives more satellite systems than my older Montana. The Montana
> is still top notch though.  A few years ago I did some comparisons with
> my Montana and a friend's eye thing. Out in the open things were pretty
> equal but once under tree cover the phone was useless (or worse). Not
> any more. Most new phones are fine.

Yes, and no. It depends on a few things:

1. Is the phone connected to a cell-tower? If it's completely
off-line, not only do you lose mapping, but the ability to locate
itself is severely hampered. It can take 10 minutes before the phone
gets an idea exactly where it's at.

2. Latitude. Here in Alaska, we're far enough north that most of the
satellites are low on the horizon and all south of the device.

3. Reflections. Both city and mountain. This is definitely an issue if
you are in a valley that runs NE-SW or NW-SE. There is a spot less
than a half-mile from my house that my phones and my car lose position
while the Garmin keeps chugging along. One of my hiking trails near me
is equally problematic and the phones will relocate me 600-1000 feet
from where I actually am. This is definitely an issue when getting
off-trail.

4. Battery level. Yes, battery level. Most phones, when they get below
50% battery, will start to automatically dumb down the GPS positioning
even with the app running. I think they are pulling other tricks in
there too, which result in hampered receive levels and/or frequency.
The app may look like it's constantly updating, but the receiver is
updating at a reduced frequency and the app either doesn't update
correctly or is guessing your movement.

5. Battery life itself. I like my handheld Garmin that takes AA
batteries. Eneloops do a fantastic job of keeping it usable, even when
hiking for a few hours at -20F. The cellphones have long since
shutdown. In fact, iPhones will automatically shut themselves off when
the temperature is too cold.

This is my experience with two new iPhones, a Motorola, and a Samsung
over the past two years.

AK Schnozz