Re: [OM] Topaz Denoise as a sharpening tool (was "Adobe bringing Gigapix

Subject: Re: [OM] Topaz Denoise as a sharpening tool (was "Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function...")
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 20:43:34 -0500
On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 5:33 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/26/2021 11:29 AM, DZDub wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:30 AM DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 12:52 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I like that effect and it
> > does genuinely seem to sharpen -- and more subtly than FM.  It seems to
> > emerge from the image in an organic fashion.
>
> Magic, I say, Magic!
>
> > It's puzzling because it seems more significant than any NR in play.
>
> As I wrote just now, probably an unintended consequence.
>
> > I wouldn't have been looking for NR based on the quality of the original
> image.
>
> I do a lot of stuff like LCE and other tools that tend to exacerbate even
> very modest noise.
>
> Lets face it, even an A7 II at 100 ISO has some noise, I can see it at
> 100%, and LCE makes it more visible.
>
> So, I've always used NR as a first step in processing. Also v. important
> for sharpening and uprezzing.
>
> > What I have liked about Sharpen AI is that it is still possible to get a
> > little additional sharpening with FM (usually 1, hardly ever 2).
>
> One oddity of FM, compared to the competition, is the lack of sub-pixel
> settings.

Yes!

> I apply it with an Action in PS, which
> applies it on a new layer. I then adjust opacity for effect. If you see an
> image of mine ending in "oof40", for
> example,that means I used FM, Out of Focus Mode, 1 pixel, at 40% opacity.
> "oofm" means I mixed settings and/or opacity
> in different parts of the image. There will be a downsized PSD file with
> all the layer details. Classic example would be
> using a setting of 2 only on the eyes, adjusted with painting and/or
> opacity.

Thanks so much for sharing all this. Unlike its other products, Topaz does
not seem to give away a free trial month but instead watermarks the
output.  Despite my annoyance, I went ahead and bought it.  After a couple
images, I see exactly why you like it.

I think you need to write a learned article about this for something like
TOP.  I know certain people have grown unreliable or unresponsive to you,
but maybe there is another venue?  It seems to me you are at the same place
as Bruce Fraser when he happened upon LCE/clarity (your phrase "unintended
consequence").

It might help to change your nomme de plume from "Moose" to something more
highbrow.  Have you considered "Ktein"? ;)

Joel W.