Re: [OM] Is there a way to scan film strips with paper glued to edges?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is there a way to scan film strips with paper glued to edges?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 02:48:06 -0800
Seems the developer of the Son and Shade Analyzer (SASHA), George, has a ton of
rolls of film to be scanned.  (We got diverted on a few emails to photo topics.)
Apparently some processors glued paper to the edges of the film during/after
processing.  It must have been a common practice though I have never seen it.

Checking assumptions, 35mm film strips? 126 film  was 35 mm wide stock with a paper backing, for example. Whether it left paper on the edges after processing, I don't know, but the format was square, 26.5x26.5 mm, so not scannable at full width in standard scanner film holders.

The film can not be scanned by the usual scanners as will not fit.

My first thought is a rotary cutter, to cut off excess paper that exceeds the film width. Unless the paper is pretty thick, it would then fit in the film strip holders of my Canon FS4000 scanner and should fit in the holders for various flatbed film scanners.

From there on, straightforward.

He was thinking of "scanning" them with a high res dig cam, but that might take
quite awhile.

CH found this acceptable, and his preferred solution. It may be faster than scanning although requiring more continuous hands on attention. My objection to that is simply dust and scratches. With CN film, the IR cleaning of good scanners is pure magic.

With silver based B&W film, the IR cleaning doesn't work. It didn't work earlier on KR film, but I hear that both VueScan and SilverFast have overcome that problem.

So the balance between methods may lie in the mix of films.

No Scamming Moose