Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:08:05 -0500 (EST)
Dr. Flash writes:

>>I also admit to having no experience at all with flash units offering
high speed sync. Perhaps that solves they sync problem but I have
always wondered if the light output is sufficient for full sun fill.

For curiosity  purposes I checked the GN of the FL- 50r in HSS
mode---GN down to 11 (m) at ISO 100 for FL of 25mm (50mm FF equiv) at
1/800 sec.  Not sure it is terribly useful.  Dr. No Flash may say can
largely fix in post.
anyway.  One exception I think I have found is fill flash for
butterflies.  Subjects with structural color especially the iridescence
of newly emerged flutterbys benefit form some off axis light as Dean
has oft noted. Trying to restore the brilliance of the color and any
semblance of iridescence just doesn't work well  in post, for me at
least.
Some bfly's scales act like Bragg reflectors.  So fast sync speed is a
real plus to completely replace Canyon dig back for OM at least for me.

  Dr. Flash taught me ages ago that ND filters ameliorate the slow sync
issue at least in part, but the flash also has to punch through the
filter.

Student of Dr. Flash,  Mike