Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 21:49:14 -0800
On 12/27/2013 1:54 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> If you are suffering from loneliness, you are not alone. Yet, you are
> alone, so very very alone. - Despair.com
>
> <Big snip>
>
> But, back to my original statement, I feel like all three cameras are
> competent, but none of them grab me and just fall to hand like they
> were made for me. The E-1 was certainly that way. The OM-2S is
> certainly that way. These cameras remind me of my experience with my
> Mamiya TLR. The camera took great pictures, but I never enjoyed using
> it as it just didn't fit my hands and eyes right.
>
> YMMV, of course, and I am NOT speaking for Moose on this. However,
> knowing what I know about Moose, I am very confident in saying that
> Moose would absolutely love the EM1 based on what all he has said
> about the EM5.

Unless someone gifts me with one, nope. I simply refuse to pay for the PD AF
that I would never use. (I also suspect I
might not find the v. deep grip comfortable.) It adds some nice enough stuff to
E-M5 capabilities/features, but not
enough to be compelling. I can understand the the designers and engineers were
concentrating on the 4/3 lens
compatibility, and rightly so. Still, it puts them behind on THE significant
remaining flaw in µ4/3 (and other small,
mirrorless, focal plane shutter cameras), shutter shock.

Sony has put EFC on the A7, and Panny ES on the GX7 (Will Oly wait for the
E-M7?)

I have no interest in switching horses in the midst of this stream. The µ4/3
lenses I have are excellent, and have
become an extensive family, covering a wide range of uses. With FF eq. of
18-600 mm coverage, good macro on the 12-50,
exquisite macro with the 60/2.8, and the 20/1.7 for real dark, I'm feeling
pretty well served.

So Sony and Fuji aren't tempting. Images from the Fujis are certainly nice
looking at web size, the sensors have an
excellent, 3Dish quality, but the lenses available provide inadequate coverage
for me. And Sony are famous for
inadequate lens selection.

The camera you seem, to my mind, to have left out is the GX7. It solves the
shutter shock problem without a release
delay in the majority of my circumstances*, has good controls, and is very
capable. I find it comfortable to hold. With
a larger grip than the E-M5, you might find it comfortable. It's tall enough
that, with index finger up on the release,
the other three of my fingers fit on the front of the body. (Then again, I
don't mind at all if the pinkie slips under a
camera body. In fact, I had to pick it up, to see where my fingers fall.)

I can hope that Oly now puts their efforts into an EFC or full ES version
derived from the E-M5. But there's no hurry.
The GX7 will give me much to do and learn this year. The sensor is a bit better
than the E-M5, and I think the E-M1, in
ways important to me.

M. F. T. Moose

* Relatively slow sync with shutter shock may be a real problem for some folks
using fill. I just don't know enough
about flash to give a meaningful opinion. My solution was to grab an Oly with
SS delay.