Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 20:00:29 -0800
On 12/28/2013 7:32 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I found using OM glass on a FF digi back to be a mugg's game. There are
>> still folks here looking for the elusive OM-5Di
>> in disguise for their beloved OM mount glass. :-)
> The saving grace here is the live-view EVF (complete with focus
> peaking). I've been stuffing OM glass on my DSLRs from the beginning
> and have been quite happy with it. It's not a perfect thing, of
> course, but I'm not as bugged about it as some people are. It's all
> what you get used to.

And what you want to do. MF tele and macro without tripod are miserable. I've
been having a ball shooting insects and
other moving critters. Way too hard with MF. Yes, I did catch some on film with
MF, but I'm getting more and much better
results with AF. With film, I worried about too many shots with such targets.
Expensive, and I'd have to change film at
a crucial time. I'd never have captured the hummingbird shots I recently posted
with MF.

And how you want to do it. I tend to walk and shoot, often on fairly lengthy
trails. If I did everything with MF, I'd
have to turn back before getting very far, as it would be getting dark. :-)

>> I'm with you in wanting Auto lenses for my digicams. And I see little point
>> in FF anymore.
> For me, it still comes down to the glass. I love the way my OM lenses
> render the scenes. It's unlike anything I can get from modern glass.
> It's a look that I like and enjoy exploiting. So, FF does make sense
> for me. Also, since I'm still shooting film (and will continue to for
> as long as there is film), having just one set of lenses and
> approaching it from a "system" approach, a camera such as the A7 is
> logical.

No argument against what works for you from me.

> If he were alive today, I believe Walt would be doing the same.

Oh dear! Was it Digital that killed him?

Ave Walt Moose