Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 04:23:57 +1300
Ken wrote

>>> I do like the price of the A7 a whole lot more, but wouldn't you know it,
>>> I just had to buy not one but THREE laptops in the past two months. It's
>>> always something else that takes priority. That's OK, though. The DMC-L1
>>> is still a better camera than I am a photographer

Priorities, priorities. Tell me about them.

Now that I'm not paying a what-for-me was a humungously large mortgage for
house, I can
get other stuff done with my modest income.

Like getting my Range Rover back on the road. Nearly all the way there.

It IS road-legal, and a joy to drive.

Just had a long overdue motor service done. $400 (which includes $50 GST),
which was half
what I budgeted for based on previous experience at the official (dealer)
agents' (there are
none local), and next, within the next fortnight hopefully, will be the
gear-box service - equally
overdue.

The latest, now that I'm getting my boat out of 30-year storage, is that the
Evinrude 135 hp
motor may not be serviceable. Evinrude? it gets ruder and ruder. Made by
Johnson, which
apparently went bust in about 2002 and the new owner is not interested in
carrying forward
lines of most spare parts.  My motor will almost certainly need a new impeller
(for cooling)
and I see from the handbook that it is buried deep inside the motor housing.
This implies new
gaskets etc also needed.

So I'm considering having a 12-month savings goal of $14,000 from my
superannuation, to
buy a new Yamaha 115 hp (prop-rated, not shaft-rated) outboard. Should be
possible as I did
manage that kind of savings rate when I was paying that darned mortgage.

But NOW, I'm a whole lot closer also to selling my photos at the summer craft
markets. AND
I'm now feeling a lot better - seem to have at last shaken off a very nasty
cold. So if some
sell, that's all to the good. I have the gazebo / awning and tried erecting it
yesterday.

I have to grow some more muscles to get to be able to do that quicker ...

Gymn membership beckons.   Priorities, priorities ....

Brian Swale

---
is active.