Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:56:30 +0200
Thanks for the compliment, Mike.

To explain a bit: my main system is Leica M and has been so most of the past 3
1/2 years (since I bought the M8). It is the other stuff where I have varied
things a bit. I have now settled on a Pentax K5 to meet my SLR needs. For the
compact stuff, I jumped on the GF1 shortly after it came out. I experimented
with various MF lenses on it, such as a 1.4/50mm Summilux M and other M lenses.
The thing is that I like to shoot fast lenses at wide apertures, and manual
focusing on a body meant for autofocus just isn't fast enough for me. It works
fine for non-moving subjects, but most of my subjects are moving.

As to why I got rid of some MFT lenses--in most cases the explanation was that
I found I was not using the lens enough to justify keeping it. I am quite
ruthless about selling equipment that is not used. I have no sentimental
connection to lenses. In most cases it is simply that, not any reflection on
the quality of the lens. The 7-14mm was too big (relative to the GF1 body) and
too slow for my needs at f4. Image quality was fine, but the lens just did not
sit right with me for those reasons. The 2.8/45mm macro was the only lens whose
image quality was an issue for me--it just never was as sharp as I would
expect. It was not horrible, but not nearly as good as the 1.7/20mm, the
benchmark for all MFT lenses.

Now my Fuji X100 is the compact camera, for those occasions when taking the M8
or K5 outfit is too much, such as this week's quick trip to London. Despite
some quirks, it is the best compact camera I have ever owned. Its image quality
is on par with the M8 and better than the K5.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain