Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 17:05:42 -0700
Cc: pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I also went through using OM, Leica and Voigtlander lenses on the Panny
G1. I quickly gave up on the wides. Fortunately, the Panny 20/1.7 is wide
enough for what I do, and it's a stellar lens, as Nathan says. The kit
zoom is merely very good, though slow, so I've got 14mm (28mm equivalent)
if I really need it.

For 50mm lenses and longer, and for certain specific purposes, I find
manual lenses to be very useful on the G1.  The G1's focus magnification
makes focusing easier than with an SLR. Of course the subjects have to be
static, and you'll be focusing wide open and stopping down.

Here are shots with a Voigtlander 90/3.5 Leica mount lens on the G1. This
combination was my telephoto on a trip where I had to take a light outfit
due to a "frozen shoulder." I took the kit zoom, the 20/1.7, and this
90/3.5.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4931633776/lightbox>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4931633772/lightbox>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4968558728/lightbox>

And here are a couple of concert shots with the G1 and an OM 50/1.4 sn
1,050,000+.  Probably at f/2:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/209760-1/P1050384-w.jpg>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/209790-1/P1050400-w.jpg>

On the E-DSLRs, I found I could focus longer lens like the Zuiko 100/2.8
or 135/3.5 These were taken with the E-510 with the 135, I think:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/134434-1/P9072469CrestedChin-w.jpg>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/133508-1/P8312354ShihTzu-w.jpg>

And this tripod shot is with the E-510, an OM-mount Vivitar 80-150(?) zoom
and matched teleconverter, 600mm equivalent on 4/3, 100% crop.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P91125161Moon-w.jpg.html>

Of course the native lenses are quicker to operate, much more convenient,
and the quality is generally as good or better than the OM lenses.  But
you can't get 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 with the native optics.  I have no
experience with focus confirmation adapters, but in general, I find
magnified live view to be more positive and accurate than when I played
with focus confirmation, focusing the native lenses manually on the
E-thingies.

--Peter

> One person's kludge is another's bees knees. For static objects and
macro the adapters seem fine. It is looking like the > OM5DIII chipped
adapters with the improved AF precision may work out well. An EVF with
focus peaking and the central zooming may > make MF a piece of cake.

> I do like my Mirex T-S adapter in OM mount though with the uniquely
engineered mount I have to reach inside the adapter to > release it. I
also have a front Mamiya to Zuiko lens adapter to put the Z 135 and 80mm
Macro on it. John added the aperture > coupling pin on the Mirex and of
course it is easily used on the Canyon though that is adapting an
adapter. Seems there is a > Youtube for everything but this guy should
have practiced a bit first. Perhaps I should make one for the Mirex in
OM mount > though it might get two hits and one would be mine.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibGRQvhopo
>

> Still curious why Nathan dumped some MFT lenses that have quite a good
reputation. He excercises his gear quite a bit (to > excellent effect)
and if he dumps it, I pay close attention.