[OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most

Subject: [OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:59:03 -0500
Chuck, Moose,

I revised the poll to make it slightly more to your satisfaction.  :)

>And, are you also implying that such a thing can't happen if I was shooting
with Fuji or
>Kodak Pro films?

I would never imply such a thing.  After all, I can guarantee that there are
certain colors that those films won't capture either.  But you wouldn't know
unless you test.  Empirical evidence only goes so far. Without a baseline
comparison, we are just floating around without any solid anchor or even a
point of reference. At least Moose sets up profiles using a standardized
target--but as I'm about to prove, the standardized target can be WAY OFF as
compared to real-world lighting, fabrics and colors.

Maybe this is why you are shooting RAW.  As such, 100% of the photographs
have to be touched in one way or another. Why is this?  And WHY should we
have to retouch our photographs to get the color/contrast response that is
native in so many films?  And on a side-note, why is it that Fuji DSLR and
Olympus E-1 wedding photographers typically just shot in-camera JPEGs and
never worried about it?  (flip answer is that Fuji and Olympus DSLR users
aren't as smart as Canon photographs)  (the flip flip answer is that Fuji
and Olympus DSLR users are smarter than Canon users and can get it right
in-camera)

:)

When the 5D replacement comes out, how will you baseline it?  Or will you
just wing it and fix it in post?

AG