[OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most

Subject: [OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:17:34 +0800
I'll try to give some more opinions on this topic.

Film:

- the color/contrast are good (accurate) only under straightly controlled
lighting condition (right color temp. and spectrum)
- different tastes were designed to meet different situation, like Velvia
for landscape and Astia for people...

So you have to use color filters if you want accurate color under non
perfect lighting condition and select different film for different purpose.

Digital:

- color temp. adjustment is possible, easier to suit different lighting
condition.
- color/tone can be adjusted to suit different purpose (escape from
manufacturer's default).

Digital save the day, we can shoot in cloudy day and get good results
without the need of color filters. RAW gives a much easier way for color
adjustment, of course it also help in adjusting for the exposure errors.

Finally, your point about Olympus and Fuji is well taken, I have no
experience with Fuji DSLR but Olympus do create more pleasing images  (to my
eyes at least) straightly out of camera. But I don't mind about that, my 40D
also create nice images after post processing:

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/40D.htm

C.H.Ling