[OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most

Subject: [OM] Re: What Film does your Digital Camera Mimick Most
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 02:33:05 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> Survey of the day, on www.zone-10.com. I am interested in what film you think
> your digital camera comes closest to mimicking.
I saw that, and it didn't have a choice suitable for my situation.

I'm not in the least bit interested in mimicking any film with digital.
Digital is, as you have pointed out, different from film. I would say
not better nor worse, in any ultimate sense, depending on what one
values, just different. I'm interested in how any sensor system aids or
gets in the way of creating the image I see in my mind when viewing the
subject.

But then I'm the guy who uses icc profiles on films to negate the color
and tonal distribution differences between them, so what would I know?
-------------------------------
On the other hand, David's Kodachrome project and your and others'
comments about B&W conversion make an interesting thought project.

If I were doing anything like that, I'd first look into an atypical use
of icc profiles. It seems to me that profiling a B&W film with an IT8
target creates a map of its luminance response to a wide range of
colors, either as a table or as transformation parameters.

So if I process film or a digi image into the ICC Profile Color Space
using the appropriate source profile, I can then convert the image to
the new color (but really monochrome) space of the B&W profile.

With a series of icc profiles for various B&W films with various
filters, digital conversions to match should be quite simple. Doesn't
deal with grain/accutance, but should do a good job with tonal nuances.

The same basic principle should apply to David's project, as well.

Moose