[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:35:49 -0500
 Is the sum of the parts that make up a digital camera
> firmly centred on pixel count alone?
We're not talking about photography here. We're talking about selling
cameras. If you look at the competition, it is obvious that pro-grade
cameras are 12mp and up. Just as they were all 6+ when the E1 was introduced
with 5, and sold accordingly.

There is a megapixel race. It's slower now, and there are other, equally
important things, but the fact is that much as film has improved
dramatically over its life, so should digital. I certainly wouldn't want to
be shooting VPS or Super XX, as good as the latter could be in certain
circumstances.

We will be stuck with the E whatever for a very long time, as history has
shown.

If the E whatever is 10mp, I predict that it will cement Olympus' reputation
as an also-ran. Is it any conincidence that the Sony announcement of chip
investments preceeds the announcement of two new cameras, the equivelent of
the 510 and the E?

Bill Pearce