[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:22:25 -0700
khen lim wrote:
> I don't know what it will take to convince people that a so-called "killer
> DSLR" - regardless of brand and make - has to be necessarily over 10MP. I
> just don't get it. Am I missing anything here? Or does the MP debate has to
> go on and on and on?

It's not a debate. And yes, it will go on and on and on.

This is for the same reason cars are categorized and marketed based on
size, engine type, horsepower, EPA mileage figures, etc. This in spite
of the fact that EPS figures are a joke, some V6s are as good or better
than other V8s, horespower doesn't directly correlate with actual
performance, and so on.

TVs and monitors are marketed based on screen size, houses on number of
rooms, appliances based on capacity, wattage, etc.

Retailers need to put stuff into categories both to determine stocking
and, probably more important, to plan ads and promotions. Look at a
retail ad. For TVs, there will be at least one sale item in each size
and type category, same thing for cameras, refrigerators, audio gear,
etc., etc.

So, as long as there is no simple, generally accepted quality criterion
for cameras, they will suffer the came fate as all other consumer goods,
being categorized and sold on the basis of largely specious
specifications and measures.

My microwave lost it's display, worked find otherwise, but quite a pain.
My mom's, also a Sharp, did the same thing. so i bought another brand
with the same interior capacity and wattage. Guess what, it is, in
practice, significantly less powerful by the simple measure of how long
it takes to cook things. Took quite a bit of getting used to. Now I had
even consulted Consumer Reports, to make the most informed decision
possible. Had I been a serious student of kitchen appliances, I would
probably have known how to avoid that mistake, just as I am aware of how
some brands and models of digital cameras have differing actual
sensitivities at the same marked isos.

The vast majority of camera buyers are up against the same thing, only
worse. They don't want to learn all about cameras and photography, just
buy a camera that will make nice pictures. Faced with a vast sea of
choices apparently only differentiated by brand, mp, LCD size, zoom
range, etc. and cost, they do the best they can. Unfortunately, retail
sales doesn't pay enough to attract really technically competent people,
so the salespeople are of limited help.

Maybe you should come up with the simple IQ index for cameras that will
save the photographic world and end the MP wars.

Moose