[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 04:17:25 +0800
John

I'm an E-510 owner/user but I'll still be waiting to get the E-1
Replacement. Here are my comments:

On 24/07/07, JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cost of E-1 upgrade is major factor.

Sure is. No doubt about that. Compared to the E-510, you'll need to rob a
small bank.

Having handled 510 my major gripes are : card slot door seems very easily
> opened

Do not agree. That depends on what you are really looking for. It doesn't
have the sturdy locking mechanism that the E-1 has but at that price, what
were you really expecting? It has not come off on me before and believe me,
I am a very rough user.

             Info on right of viewfinder harder to see than E-1 which has
> info below viewfinder image.

It's fine with me. Everything is crystal clear provided I have adjusted the
diopter to my eye power. Once I do that, it's beautiful. However the high
eyepoint feature of the E-1 is obviously better but again, horses for
courses.

             Viewfinder does NOT seem as good as E-1.

If you want to pay the price of an E-1 (new), you wouldn't be looking at the
E-510, John. Both are poles apart in many ways. The E-510 is NOT intended
for serious pro work and the manner in which it was designed and built
attest to this.

On E-1 successor would like : Tiltable / articulating screen YES
>                               professional build quality YES
>                               Better VF than 510. Definitely YES
> BUT major factor is that (in the UK at least) The price could be
> prohibitive for me...at least 30 % markup over US prices.

You can always buy it in Asian countries where the prices are certainly
going to be better. At the prevailing exchange rates with pound-sterling,
you'll be laughing all the way. Plan a trip here, enjoy yourself and pick up
a treat for yourself.

   I WANT to wait for E-1 replacement but do not know if I will be able to
> afford it...or justify it...for hobby use.  :-O

Prices will invariably drop. If you have the patience, I would suggest you
wait. In any case, never ever buy a camera from the first production batch
anymore. Solid advice here for you. Best you heed it. :)  ....especially for
digital cameras.

Cheers

K.

                          John Duggan

> > John Duggan wrote:
> > >  Do I hang on waiting for an E?? bearing in mind it will be FAR
> > > more expensive in the UK or do I pick up an E-510 at a very
> > > attractive price?
>
> > My question is this:  Will you be tempted to upgrade to the E-520,
> > E-530 and E-540 when they come out?  The problem I see with buying
> > the three-digit series is that you will always be tempted to jump on
> > the upgrade-treadmill.  By sticking with the pro-level cameras, they
> > don't come out very often and in the long run are probably less
> > expensive.
> > I'm desparate for more pixels, but know that getting a compromise
> > camera, such as the E-510, will not be satisfying to me.
> > AG
>

> Regards
>   John Duggan,
>      Wales, UK

> Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up
> for
> your free account today
> http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox