[OM] Re: [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 15:48:55 +0000
VB 6.0 was the last 'real' VB and still remains *very* widely used - and has
the added advantages that it's well known and understood, and it is fairly
easy to convert and upgrade VB 4.0 and 5.0 programs to, run on Windows 98
and above, etc.
Recoding VB 6.0 programs to work under VB.Net is so hard a process that it
is NOT cost effective for software houses to do so - and many houses that
would have normally made the jump are refusing to do so (they simply have
too much invested in VB 6.0). I think MS gave themselves a bit of a bloodied
nose by pushing VB.Net and trying to quickly phase-out VB 6.0 (Vb 6.0 is one
of their most respected and much loved and used/abused products - and was
probably one of their biggest cash-cows).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.
>Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:21:15 -0500
>
>I heard through the grapevine yesterday that MS said (maybe as long as 6
>months ago) they will continue to support VB6 (by popular demand).  It
>has breathed new life into one of my 5 year old products.  It might have
>lived anyhow but the rewrite cost was going to be enormous.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>
>Allan Mee wrote:
>
> > Just d/l it - and yeh, it is very nice :)
> > I'm going to write some imaging software soon - it's been about a year
>since
> > I last did any serious coding - I've been too busy doing other stuff and
> > really do need to get stuck into VB.Net - everytime Ive tried VB.Net,
>I've
> > ended up thinking that this (whatever I'm doing) is a cinch in VB 6.0
>and
> > ended up coding in VB 6.0 - and I really do need to make the transition.
>Ok
> > I'm too old (turned 50+) to go back into full-time employment as a VB
> > programmer again, but it woiuld be nice to get to a point where I can
>tackle
> > any project in VB.Net (which is a *very* different animal to VB 6.0).
>I've
> > programmed (commercially) in VB 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 - all of which
>were
> > 'natural' progressions. VB.Net is a kinda 'unnatural' progression -
>because
> > MS changed VB so much with VB.Net
> > Allan

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!