[OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #315

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #315
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:10:17 -0500
Stephen,

The problem I have with Lightroom is that in my case, I see it as a
redundant piece of software.  Unless it can replace Olympus Viewer that
I use for RAW conversion, CS2 that I use for editing and Qimage that I
use for printing, I see it as an unnecessary expense and I have a
feeling Lightroom will cost upwards of $250.  I don't like Lightroom's
curve tool at the present time as I feel it is too restrictive with its
presets compared to the curves in CS2.  Having a healing brush will help
though I doubt Lightroom will ever offer enough tools so CS2 won't be
needed.  As an example, there are times when the CS2 transform tools
come in handy to remove unwanted flare.

I wish software companies would break the many components of their
software down into modules instead of trying to create the "whole"
package. I like the idea of having selections from different companies
of just RAW converters so one could pick their "developer" of choice.
Then image processing software so one could pick their "enlarger and
associated tools".  Printing software along with resizing tools would be
another module.  Another thought... maybe design image editing software
as the core base that would allow one to plug in RAW converter modules
from other companies as well as printing modules offered by other
companies.

Richard L