[OM] Re: Website photo updated again

Subject: [OM] Re: Website photo updated again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 04:59:13 -0800 (PST)
--- Patrick Moore wrote:
> Wow.. :)  It's a wonderfully calming image .. something I
> shall have to try more of.

Thank you.  We were watching this sky while travelling down the
interstate and grabbed the next exit to find a scene to match
the sky up to.

> Out of interest, how much of an overlap do you generally use?
> Is it as much as 50% (i.e. 3 frames for a double width
> panorama..) or can you get away with less?

I use five frames.  Three will provide *just* enough overlap,
however you will get too much exposure variance from vignetting.
With five, you do a "layer cake" approach where the center image
will be on top and the middle-outer ones just underneath that
and the extreme left/right images will be on the bottom.  Get
your exposure correct for the center image and then select the
next one out and adjust the exposure on that to match the center
image.  Then select the outer one and adjust the exposure to
match to middle ones.  Doing it this way will give you a smooth
exposure from one side all the way to the other.  However, with
three, you'll end up with noticable vignetting at the edges.
BTW, on this image, the extreme left looks a little darker.
It's not due to vignetting, but because there was a darker cloud
there.

Another advantage to using five is that it gives you much more
real-estate for adjusting your transition line between layers.
My preferred method is to use the erase tool with my Wacom
pen/tablet.  I use the eraser that gets wider and denser the
harder I press.  Select the center image and erase the
left/right edges of it to soften the transition point between it
and the layer underneath. If there is some object there, just
erase around it so it is only there on one layer.  Once you are
done with the center image, select the next one out. Do not do
any "erasing" on the outer-most layers. Those are on the bottom
of the layer cake and will end up with the least image used.

AG

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com