[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:49:15 -0700
I somewhat agree about a test drive ... but after driving the same car
(almost always) for 20 years there weren't any more cars that felt right.
The functional needs didn't leave many options. I sat in the prospective car
but avoided salesmen and never drove it. Most of the biggest issues are
found by reading or talking to owners. The Mustang I mentioned, I had test
driven and found I definitely didn't want the automatic but I didn't find
out how bad it was in the rain. (It was intended from the beginning to go
live with my son after a year or two of play.) I'm very happy with the new
car and if it holds up, which I doubt it will, I would probably keep it 20
years.

But a similar process occurred with my first OM. I hadn't touched one before
receiving it in the mail. I hadn't previously owned a good camera. Nor did
the OM start out with widespread high ratings compared to the dominant
makers. It had some features which made it a simple choice for me.

Finally circling back to the original off topic part of this thread. Real
estate is so expensive in much of California in part because the cost of a
one or two hour commute can be very high. A 12 hour workday and 2 hour
commute mean you might have a family on the weekend if you're lucky. No car
makes the commute enjoyable.

-jeff