[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:51:29 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Many years ago I bought a SAAB which was the darling sports sedan of
> every car mag and filled with glowing reports I ignored my reaction
> during the short test drive. Turned out to be the worst car I ever
> owned, for many reasons, but it was really a soft, tippy, slug of a
> car.
About 20 years ago, my late wife needed a new car. After the usual
research, we went out and tried some out. I just couldn't figure out the
appeal of the Saabs. Certianly didn't do anything special that others
didn't on the road. And the interior finish was really cheap, to the
point of not actually being comfortable. One thing I remember that
amazed me is that the inner door panels on the back doors were one big
piece of hardish plastic, molded and colored to look like something else
(well...), but hard and uncomfortable to sit next to. Even the
expensive, supposedly up scale, models, were like that.

She bought an Audi 4000, which was every bit as sporting and much more
attractive and comfortable inside. My older son ended up with that car,
managed to lose the oil and burn out the bottom end. He and I put in a
used engine and he later sold it, but knows who has it and it is still
running fine.

I could never figure out Saab pricing, either. When I was looking for a
convertible 11 years ago, I again checked out Saab, among others. The
interiors were ok at that time, but you only had the choice of a not
cheap, but not inexpensive, car with an underpowered engine and no
frills or features at all, or a turbo 4 or V6 loaded with everything,
whether you wanted it or not, for about $10-12,000 more, just too much
for what the basic car was.

Moose