[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:54:26 +0000
I thought this thread had ended, and I don't want to get into this BS or stir
stuff up, but I don't think that's entirely so. And this may well be putting
too fine a point on it, but folks who copy or download or otherwise obtain
software, music, or whatever, without paying for it are the very same folks who
wouldn't ever buy it anyway, so although the creator has a right to be pissed,
there's probably actually no money out of his pocket. I got my copy of
Photoshop CS from my son after he no longer needed it. Otherwise, I wouldn't
have it, because, IMO, it's not worth even half what it costs. If there's
somebody here who thinks I "stole" it, then they can pucker up and ...  Never
mind.

"Stealing" intellectual property may technically be theft, but it's not nearly
the same as having your home burglarized, your car stolen, or even just broken
into for the CDs, all of which I have had happen. There's a big difference
between being the victim of a real crime and lying awake nights thinking maybe
somebody got away with something you don't even know about and that didn't
really cost you anyway.

Now, if somebody takes your so-called intellectual property and claims it as
their own or sells it, like the Chinese are so adept at doing, that's a whole
'nother thing and they should be shot.

Just my opinion.

Walt

--