[OM] Re: took too many pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: took too many pictures
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:23:12 -0400
Gee, Ken, thanks for the endorsement!  Depending on how the paper jams
are occurring, the printer may need adjustment.  And did the ribbon
jam while an Epson brand ribbon was in the printer?  Third party
ribbons often lack proper lubricant in their formulae and will jam or
foul the head.

I worked for (Seiko) Epson and helped introduce the DFX-5000 to the
market *many* years ago.  It was a major step up for the company.  We
really hit stride with it when adapters allowed it to be connected to
AS400 and EBCDIC based mainframes.  Gave the IBM reps yet another
reason to hate me.  :D

Point being, the DFX series was overdesigned and underspeced which was
typical of Epson printers.  That does NOT appear to be the case with
most camera equipment.  Unfortunately, that put us at a competitive
disadvantage when buyers used our MTBF specification to amortize
costs.

I used to think MTBF numbers for shutters were of interest to serious
pros and a 'distant future' point of reference for the rest of us.
Not any more.  That's another paradigm that digicams are breaking.
Since the "dollar a shot" mentality we learned with film doesn't apply
to digital, a lot of digi-shooters just mash the shutter button.  In
fact, I recently read the the C@non 20D is apparently experiencing
notable failure rates of a shutter tensioning spring.  I don't want to
even think about editing 1500~2000 RAW images from a wedding like some
of these folks do.

FWIW/ScottGee1

On 7/17/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

SNIP!

> We've got a printer here at work (Epson DFX-5000--among the
> first dozen made) that has printed over a calculated 3,250,000
> pages. The average page has an estimated 500 characters.
> (1,625,000,000 total characters). According to the manual it has
> a MTBF of 8000 power-on hours. It has been on for well over
> 150,000. Acording to the manual, it has a MCBF of 13,500,000
> lines. The printer has done at least double that. The print head
> life is 200 million characters.  We blew that away with around
> 1,625,000,000. It chugs away, flawlessly, every day and in the
> six years I've been here the biggest repair ever made to it is
> the occasional replacement of ribbons and clearing paper-jams.
> (talk about the paper jams, though!). Oh, there was one doozy of
> a ribbon jam that I thought for sure was going to trash the
> entire printer.  No employee remembers this printer EVER getting
> service.  If you dug into the paper dust deep enough you'll
> probably find Jimmy Hoffa buried in there.

SNIP!