[OM] Re: took too many pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: took too many pictures
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:31:01 -0600
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> The shutter life of even the recently announced
>> 30D and 5D (and improved over previous models) is 100,000
>> cycles.
>
> I'm wondering if these ratings are "expected life" or "MTBF".
> There's a huge difference.  MTBF would be something like one in
> every 100,000 cameras will experience a shutter failure in the
> next actuation. This explains why you have some that fail on the
> third picture and others that never fail.

If it is MTBF, then the variability in failure rates could be huge
depending on the shape of the actual failure curve, and the stated life
is simply an "insurance policy" that the camera maker can refer to in
order to get out of what could otherwise be an onerous repair bill.

Reasonable article on MTBF is on Wikipedia:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTBF

I'd always assumed that the failure curve was some type of
T-distribution or chi-square distribution, but according to the above
article it could be something else entirely.

Garth