[OM] Re: Backpacks

Subject: [OM] Re: Backpacks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:29:45 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've been thinking about a PhotoRunner since you mentioned yours about a
> week ago.  I like the idea of the waist belt.

With the caveat that bags are very personal...  And that one should try
them in person, if possible, as I did with the PhotoRunner.....

I've had mine for 4-5 years and still find my self using it. When
putting stuff in it, I sometimes think it's too small. When carrying it,
I only occasionally think it is too large. So it must be about right for me.

The waist belt works quite well for me. I can push it around to side,
front or back. What really makes it special for me is that it also has
an excellent shoulder strap. In spite being small and light, the strap
has one of those curved center sections to fit the shoulder and it has a
very effective finish that doesn't slip off easily. I have the shoulder
strap set rather short, so the bag is just at the end of my elbow,
occasionally even shorter, so my arm can hold it against my body. I've
found many circumstances where I am just carrying it from here to there
where that is just perfect.

Putting a fair sized waist pack on, especially, and off, is a two hands,
pay attention job for me, and I always find myself carrying one around
part of the time by the strap in my hand, which is awkward and
uncomfortable if there is any weight in it. I really like the option of
either with no fuss.

The double zipper really opens it up, no fighting under a flap, but you
have to learn to get the two zipper pulls straight in the handle for
smooth operation. It's second nature to me by now.

It's a snug fit, but I can put the 5D with 28-300, with reversed hood,
90/2.8 macro with reversed hood and 19-35 all in it. That leaves a small
pocket at one end for the hood for the 19-35. Batteries, memory cards,
filters, etc. fit in the interior end space and/or the full length side
pocket. Mostly though, there is another lens in the bag and the camera
is out, ready for use.

The one thing that puzzles me is why the straps that would be good for
carrying a small tripod, umbrella, jacket, etc., go over the top to
latch, so you can't open up to get at equipment without unsnapping them.
I've yet to find a use for them. Fortunately, their QR ends can be left
stuffed through the shoulder strap holders and stay out of the way.

Moose