[OM] Re: Olympus quality and customer service gone to the birds!

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus quality and customer service gone to the birds!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:02:22 -0700
ALI wrote:
> The E-300 kept freezing up. She purchased the new body from Buydig. Apparently
> the user lives in a small town where she has some big box stores but nothing
> specialized.
Some big boxes are carrying the E-330, I believe. But not as cheap as
on-line sources. And therein, I suspect, hangs the tale.
> Its just a side thing for her....she does not profess to be a pro.

Yes she did, if she signed a contract to deliver photographic services.
The definition of professional is offering services for money. It seems
you may using the term "pro" in the loose meaning of great, or at least
competent, photographer. There are many amateur photographers who are
technically better, although likely less efficient, than many pros, in
any given area of photography; they just don't do it for money.
> I do agree with you about having a backup body.
>
> Pro or not - Oly should have quickly offered up a solution.

And I should be able to fly under my own power. About equally likely.

If it makes you feel any better, no DSLR maker would have done any
better with a DOA consumer grade body. Who is going to deliver a
replacement camera to Podunk? Who is going to pay them? How many more
cameras will have to be sold to pay for special service for this one?

We who buy consumer cameras simply don't demand those kind of services,
for the simple reason that we are not willing to pay for them. For any
one maker to offer such service would be costly, requiring them to cut
their throats either by selling at a loss or by raising their prices out
of the range of competitive products and losing money through declining
sales. As long as the consumer camera market is price driven, and so far
it has been for its whole existence, you won't see what you think should
happen happening.

A few years ago, my Canon P&S died when only a few weeks old. I sent it
to warranty service, got it back in about 10 days and it has worked
since. That is great customer service by the standards of the consumer
camera business.

There IS a market for such services. They are provided to some working
professional photographers as a part of agreements with Canon and Nikon,
and perhaps others, in return for various combinations of money and
services. Oly tried in a half-hearted way to compete in it back in the
OM heyday, but they never managed to come close to the level of service
then offered by Nikon.

Moose