[OM] Re: Olympus quality and customer service gone to the birds!

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus quality and customer service gone to the birds!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:59:24 -0700
ALI wrote:
> Here is an interesting Olympus cartoon for ya. From the same person who
> purchased an E-300 and had issues a few months later. Sent the camera back to
> the Oly repair facility in California...camera came back with same issue. Sent
> the camera to the NY repair facility and has not heard back. In the meantime
> this person landed a contract to photograph something (real estate, etc).
> Hoping to re-use her lenses - she quickly purchased an E-330 and sure enough!
> The E-330 is defective out of the box. The LCD display is not functional.
>
> Olympus told her to return the camera back to the retailer (buydig) and buydig
> is closed until Sunday! Olympus did not make an effort to help her out.

Obviously, Oly customer service is lousy, but that's nothing new.
Unfortunate, but it's been that way for many years.

If the camera has been to two different service facilities, is it
possible that it is fine, and the user misunderstands something about
how it works? I have personally  been straightened out a couple of times
over the years by service people who have pointed out that the the way
something works, which seems wrong to me, is in fact, how it is
documented to work. DOH! :-(

The other side of the story is that this person was foolish in
purchasing a new piece of equipment for a commercial deadline by mail
without adequate lead time. Neither Oly consumer service nor price
oriented internet sellers are set up to deal with professional
deadlines. Had she bought it at a local retailer, she could have tried
it out right there and exchanged it for an operational one on the spot
if faulty.

Hobby and pro are different beyond just technical photographic matters,
and one needs a different mind set for pro. It's a business and one
shouldn't contract to do a job without being sure of having at hand the
resources to do it. An experienced pro also would not set out to do the
job without a back-up camera body,  lens(es), battery, card, etc. That
is, of course, one reason why they cost more that some amateurs may
think the job is worth.

Any business that expects to grow and prosper delivers results, not
excuses. And that is mostly a matter of planning, thinking out what is
needed, what can go wrong and how to proceed to best assure the desired
results.

One person I knew and worked with, who currently runs a Fortune 500
company, said one key to success was to under promise and over deliver.
He's gone from growing up in a small town in the Dakotas to being worth
at least 10s of millions of $, so I figure he may know something useful.

End of rant.....

Moose