[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:44:04 -0700
I hope you like it as much as I do. My recent experience carrying around a
heavy camera on metal legs (with the Acratech head) again reminded me that
once the weight goes over my limit, carrying a tripod can literally be a
pain.

If you've been using a conventional ball head with a slot for vertical
format, the Acratech head takes time to get used to. Once you get used to
it, they are very flexible. I haven't mounted a 1000/f11 on it yet but it
has been great for my 400/4 + 1.4TC. The few times I've tried it, the weight
of the 350/2.8 actually seems to make it easier to stablize than my often
used 400/4.

I doubt anyone has switched from an Arca-Swiss style quick release once
they've used one. The Acratech works great, hasn't had any problems with
dirt, looks nice, and is light!!! I haven't seen anything else that has
tempted me to even look at it in a store.

Congratulations and best wishes,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Just got myself an Acratech ball head (original style). Not cheap, but very
well made and light. Seems very nice to use (I've only hung a Tamron 300/2.8
on it for testing), but I'm a beginner.... Always liked this head, but was
swayed by advice/experience from Jeff Keller, who is a fan (thanks Jeff!).
This head is way beyond Kem's budget though.

Martin